From: Butler County Treasurer Vicki Schoneman
Drivers License 319-267-2145
Butler County Treasurer Vicki Schoneman says, “Governor Reynolds’ Proclamation of Disaster Emergency signed on July 24th impacts many of the services provided at the County Treasurer’s office.”
The proclamation sections related to property taxes were extended through Friday, July 31, 2020.
The sections related to driving with expired licenses were extended through August 23, 2020.
The sections related to motor vehicle renewals and title transfers and temporary plates were not extended and expired on July 25, 2020 at midnight.”
What You Need To Know:
- Pay property taxes that were due in March – 1.5% penalty rounded to the nearest dollar will be applied to taxes being paid beginning August 1st . Mail checks to Butler County Treasurer; PO Box 327; Allison, IA 50602; pay online at www.IowaTreasurers.org; or drop payment off in drop box located north side of the Courthouse.
- Pay motor vehicle renewals by August 31, 2020, if your registration expired in the months of January 2020 through July 31, 2020. Mail checks to Butler County Treasurer; PO Box 327; Allison, IA 50602; pay online at www.IowaTreasurers.org; or drop payment off in drop box located north side of the Courthouse.
- If you purchased a vehicle between February 13th – March 15th, your vehicle must be transferred as soon as possible to avoid penalties. Call 319-267-2774 to get additional information.
- If you purchased a vehicle between March 16th – July 25th, you must apply for title and registration by August 24th to avoid penalties.
- Driver’s Licenses that expired beginning January 16th and during the proclamation have driving privileges extended through August 23rd. The Butler County Driver’s License Station is open by appointment only until further notice – call for an appointment at 319-267-2145 or renew online if eligible at https://iowadot.gov/mvd/driverslicense/service-selector. Some driver’s licenses can be extended for 6 months for driving purposes online with the Department of Transportation.
- REAL ID driver’s license enforcement was extended until October 1, 2021.
Schoneman says, “The Courthouse doors will be locked until September 29th and the Treasurer’s office will serve people by appointment only. Because of social distancing health needs we are limited to two people in the Tax/Motor Vehicle office and one to two people in the Driver’s License Station. At this time facemasks are not required for entry but could change in the future. We are asking people to pay taxes and motor vehicle renewals through our online website, mail, or drop box, so we can save the in-office visits for our transactions that require face-to-face visits.
The website for Butler County is www.butlercoiowa.org. There are links to the Iowa Treasurers website, www.IowaTreasurers.org, for making property tax and motor vehicle renewal payments. There are also links on the county website in the treasurer tab for motor vehicle forms and to the Iowa Department of Transportation (IDOT). The IDOT offers many driver’s license services online if eligible at https://iowadot.gov/mvd/driverslicense/service-selector.”